Customer Support Manager
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
As a Customer Support Manager, you will lead and mentor an in-house team of employees. You will be responsible for working with the Customer Support Training Lead to ensure your team is receiving consistent and appropriate training and feedback. As a manager in Customer Support, you will actively monitor support queues and work with your team to achieve key metrics and targets, including response times and satisfaction scores, as well as directly responding to escalated customer issues. You will partner across various departments to raise awareness of customer pain points. As part of the operations management team, you will be expected to contribute to controlling costs, achieving business SLA’s and maintaining strong relationships with outsource partners.
- Manage a team of hourly employees responsible for responding to customers across multiple time zones and languages regarding order related issues
- Oversee all support queues managed by your team, ensuring issues are addressed in the appropriate and timely order
- Communicate with team leads and managers across Support teams to triage tickets and ensure Customer Support metrics are achieved overall
- Responsible for reporting, queue configurations, triggers and other related CS tools as they pertain to your team
- Provide feedback to your team for continual quality improvement, including hands-on support with responses to customers
- Regularly share customer feedback to manager and outside departments with supported data; point person for Customer Support questions from other departments
- Manage and respond to escalated tickets
- Manage team and workload to achieve CSAT, response targets and other CS KPI’s
- Suggest changes in policies and internal support workflows to create efficiency and improved results
- Provide a path for growth for your team members, including training opportunities and movement in the tiered support structure
- Responsible for all aspects of people management within your team, including: recruitment, selection, performance management, team building, coaching and regular 1-on-1 meetings
Performance Measures (how your success will be measured):
- Achieve CSAT and Response targets (individual and team targets)
- Management of queues and oversight of workload balancing
- Demonstrate clear communication of customer feedback with supported data
- Growth and success of individual members of your team
Education: Bachelor’s Degree and 5-7 years of relevant work experience
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, especially when explaining complicated issues
- A strong desire to help the customer while maintaining good business practices; including knowing when to make product or website suggestions to achieve a better customer experience
- 2-3 years people management experience in a customer-facing role preferred; experience within a customer support team is preferred
- Excellent leadership skills, both among your team and with peers across departments
- Self-starter and strong desire for excellence
- Experience working with CRM platforms, Zendesk a plus
- Knowledge of the book printing process, shipping/logistics a plus
- Knowledge of publishing distribution a plus
- Experience with design/photography a plus
In addition, you possess the following qualities:
- You interact effectively and harmoniously with other people
- Ability to communicate situations in a professional, accurate manner
- You are thorough and meticulous
- You are able to see the big picture and can be strategic in your decision making
- You take initiative and are results-oriented
- You are a strong communicator, within your team and across functions
- You build a positive and engaged culture, coach team members in their contributions to the team culture, and effectively intervene wherever conflict or bad dynamics exist.
- You inspire and support your team to grow, and coach your team to better understand their strengths, motivations, and areas for growth.
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced and fluid environment – self-starting, self-driven, ambitious and flexible
- Must work well independently and with a team
- And last, but not least: you radiate a positive attitude and your colleagues agree that you are collaborative and a solid team player
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.